Zhulieta is a founding partner at Tocheva and Mandazhieva Law Office.
Since 2000, she has been one of Bulgaria’s go-to lawyers in the area of corporate law, financial and payment services and capital markets.
Her second field of expertise is ICT law and data protection, where she has seen an increasing flow of mandates from leading Fintech companies, cloud/other digital services providers and data-driven businesses.
Since 2017, Zhulieta Mandazhieva is actively involved in the structuring of various GDPR compliance programs for a number of large Bulgarian companies and groups of companies active in the fields of financial services, logistics, pharmaceuticals, cloud and hosted services, etc. The GDPR compliance exercise encompasses both GAP analyses and implementation; to achieve optimal results for the client, T&M has teamed up with some of the leading IT and business consulting companies specialising in data inventory and mapping, information security and IT audits. Zhulieta is also a frequent speaker on various events and conferences on the topic of GDPR and ePrivacy, and their various intersections with sector legislation inclusive.
Zhulieta has been the point of contact for Bulgarian legal issues in a number of multijurisdictional, high profile transactions. She is a preferred lawyer for international law firms seeking sound, fast and comprehensive legal advice for their globally operating clients.
Zhulieta is a certified mediator, a member of the Bulgarian Dispute Resolution Commission for out-of-court settlements in the field of financial services and a certified IP representative.
2004 – present Tocheva and Mandazhieva Law Office, Founding Partner
2002 – 2004 BenchMark Group, Head of Legal
2001 – 2002 Elana Fund Management, Legal Advisor
2000 Sofia University, Faculty of Law, LLM
Since 2017 - present Queen Mary University, Computer and Communications Law, PG
Sofia Bar Assoaciation, 2004
International Bar Association, 2016
- In 2017-2018 Ms. Mandazhieva was in charge of the legal side of several MiFIDII compliance programs acting for both foreign owned and local Bulgarian banks;
- Zhulieta advised a global technology company on their innovative mobile payment solution in view of the new EU payment services directive and related Bulgarian legal framework, the new money laundering regulations, etc.
- In 2016 and 2017 Zhulieta lead the legal due diligence of several large foreign-owned industrial enterprises in Bulgaria, specifically focusing on corporate law, environmental compliance and data protection issues, and creating a risk matrix for the purposes of a contemplated acquisition.
- In 2007 and 2017 respectively Zhulieta was at the core of T&M’s MIFID1 and MIFID2 implementation team representing a number of banks, investment firms and professional associations in the field of financial services. Zhulieta is the lead advisor in the preparation of MIFID-compliant set of documentation for OTC trading of derivatives on behalf of the leading Bulgarian bank in the sector.
- In 2010 Zhulieta was the key contact of Samsung C&T for the chain of acquisitions of 7 SPVs representing 35 MW in photovoltaic power in Bulgaria.
- For over ten years Zhulieta has lead the corporate and acquisition team advising Tishman International's group of companies on their Bulgarian operations: the development of a large business center and logistics park close to the Sofia Airport, acquisition and management of office buildings, etc.
- Between 2008 and 2010, Zhulieta led the Bulgarian legal team advising RWE Power AG in their legal due diligence, bidding, one-on-one negotiations and execution of a JVA for the Belene Nuclear Power Plant with the Bulgarian state electricity company NEK - working alongside Linklaters Germany and UK.
- Before founding T&M, she was part of the legal team servicing the Allianz companies in Bulgaria, as well as other leading insurance companies, including the Association of Bulgarian Insurers.
She is frequently invited to speak on conferences and workshops focusing in the areas of data protection, legal, financial and technology matters.
- The increasingly complicated, yet necessary, hedging agreements, Capital, 5 April 2017.
- The complicated details of a website development contract, Capital, 10 August 2014.
- Data mapping and analysis: what companies lack in self-knowledge, Capital, 27 August 2017